A futuristic letter to my toddler about life during COVID-19. If he asks, I will tell him it was a time that brought us all together.
Thanks for writing to me. I am glad we have gone back to more ancient forms of communication; I still struggle with the hologram.
Well, COVID-19 was a deadly virus that took many lives. We felt it in every corner of the world. Governments shut their borders, markets crashed, and people stayed at home.
You might not remember this, but the playgrounds had to close. I couldn’t explain this to you because you were so little.
It was a very reflective time for many. People had to stay at home and think. We realised how connected we all were. How similar many of our circumstances were. I guess it brought many of us together in some way. We contemplated a bit more on why we were here. What it all meant to us?
Some thought about their health. They had been too busy to look after themselves but in the wake of the pandemic; it became a priority. They dug out their running shoes and dusted the cobwebs off their bikes. They brought fresh air and a new sense of optimism back into their lives.
Some thought about their families, both near and far. Fathers reached out to long lost sons and cousins skyped in for family time Sunday roasts. That Easter was something special. We connected deeper than we ever had while remaining in isolation. We were grateful for our partners and our children.
Some thought about those in need in their communities. They volunteered to help. Food was donated. Medicine was delivered to doorsteps. When the government asked for volunteers; many raised their hands. Doctors and bakers both remained essential. It was beautiful to see.
Some thought about their employees. Even when faced with uncertainty, they kept them on their payroll. They protected their jobs, though they were home looking after their families. They rallied governments for relief and clients to continue to support them.
Both did what they could.
Some thought about the environment. Maybe it was time to do something. The lockdown had a visible effect on pollution. The air felt better against our cheeks. It got many of us thinking that we had taken it all for granted. The restrictions on grocery items showed us we could have more with much less.
On a personal level, I was fortunate. I had my best friends with me. Your mother, your little sister and you. We flew kites and drew treasure maps for our daily walks. I learned to slow down. It was the first time; I forgot we needed money to live. That I needed a purpose to be happy.
We just were, and that was enough. Hope can be a wonderful thing.
If you believe in the work we are doing here at The Good Men Project and want to join our calls on a regular basis, please join us as a Premium Member, today.
All Premium Members get to view The Good Men Project with NO ADS.
Need more info? A complete list of benefits is here.
Your ANNUAL PLATINUM membership includes:
1. Free and UNLIMITED ACCESS to participate in ANY of our new Social Interest Groups. We have active communities of like-minded individuals working to change the world on important issues. Weekly facilitated calls that lead to the execution of real-world strategies for change. Complete schedule above, with new ones starting all the time. We now offer 500 calls a year!
2. Free and UNLIMITED ACCESS to ALL LIVE CLASSES. Learn how to build your own platform, be a better writer, become an editor, create social change. Check out our training sessions. As a Platinum member, you can take them all.
3. Invitation to the MEMBERS ONLY Good Men Project Community on Facebook. Connect with other members, network and carry the conversation no one else is having one step further.
4. Access to our PREMIUM MEMBER LIBRARY with our recorded ConvoCasts and classes. ConvoCasts are a new form of media—and you are in them! Only Platinum Members get access to our recordings. And recordings of our classes are really valuable for those who do not have time to take the live classes or just want to review.
5. An ad-free experience.No banner, pop-up, or video ads when you log in.
6. Weekly conference calls with the publisher and other community members. Our weekly calls discuss the issues we see happening in the world of men in a friendly group setting.
7. PLATINUM member commenting badge. Your comments on our website will appear with a platinum member badge, signifying you are a part of our core community.
Price for ANNUAL PLATINUM membership is NOW JUST $12 PER YEAR (regularly $50/year).
If you believe in the work we are doing here at The Good Men Project, please join like-minded individuals in The Good Men Project Premium Community.
We have pioneered the largest worldwide conversation about what it means to be a good man in the 21st century. Your support of our work is inspiring and invaluable.
JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP FOR WRITERS
Meet and network with others, get writing prompts and tips, get reminders and topics for our group call. Join our Writers Group on Facebook for details.
Photo credit: Unsplash