Each one of us should use sunscreen to get protection from the harmful UV rays. You should be even more careful when you have rosacea-prone skin. Rosacea is a skin condition that is common in people who have light skin. It usually affects the face. However, its symptoms can be controlled and treated using the right products or medications.
There are sunscreens that contain rosacea-friendly ingredients and have sufficient UV protection to keep your skin safe and healthy. In this MomJunction post, we bring you 17 best sunscreens for rosacea, along with the pros and cons, to make your selection process easier.
17 Best Sunscreens For Rosacea
Some manufacturers of the below-mentioned sunscreens claim that their products are safe for rosacea. As everyone has unique skin and the triggers of rosacea are different, you should always read the ingredients.
1. EltaMD Skincare
It is a facial sunscreen that contains SPF 46 and is suitable for acne, hyperpigmentation, and rosacea-prone skin type. It calms and protects the skin against the UVA and UVB rays of the sun. The sunscreen contains 9% transparent zinc oxide and is free from oil, fragrance, and alcohol.
- Has an untinted formula.
- Non-comedogenic and sensitivity-free.
- Dermatologist-recommended brand.
- May not be suitable for ultra-sensitive skin.
- May leave a whitish shade on the skin for some.
2. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Sunscreen
This is a face and body stick that glides smoothly and leaves no mess on the skin. It contains SPF 70, has a non-shiny finish, and feels weightless. It offers a grease-free finish, and the sunscreen technology offers broad-spectrum protection from UVA and UVB rays.
- Paba-free and non-comedogenic.
- Doesn’t clog pores and is clean and light on the skin.
- May cause rashes or irritation to some.
3. Sun Bum Sunscreen
This sunscreen has a moisturizing formula that protects your skin and hydrates your skin too. It neutralizes free radicals and reduces signs of skin aging. It contains SPF 50 and is enriched with vitamin E. It comes in variants of SPF 15, 30, and 70 too.
- Vegan and cruelty-free.
- Non-comedogenic and free from paraben, gluten, PABA, and oil.
- Water-resistant and broad-spectrum protection.
- May cause allergic reactions to some.
4. DRMTLGY Anti-Aging Sunscreen
The product is made with a combination of ingredients that serves as a facial sunscreen and moisturizer. It protects the skin from the UVA, UVB, and infrared radiation and hydrates the skin too. It is lightweight, blends well on the skin, and doesn’t leave any whitish residue.
- Dermatologist-recommended formula.
- Oil-, paraben-, gluten-, and hormone-free.
- Non-comedogenic and suitable for sensitive skin.
- Could cause dry skin to some.
5. Aveeno Absolutely Ageless
This sunscreen plus moisturizer not only protects your skin from UVA and UVB rays but also hydrates your skin. It offers a smooth texture and helps you maintain healthy skin. The antioxidant-rich formula with vitamins C and E nourishes your skin and also boosts elasticity.
- Dermatologist-tested, hypoallergenic, and non-comedogenic.
- Non-greasy and strengthens the natural moisture of the skin.
- Blackberry complex helps to reduce the effects of elastin depleted skin.
- May cause allergy to sensitive skin.
- May have a strong smell.
6. Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen
It is a facial sunscreen that is mineral-based, lightweight, and comes in water-gel formula. It contains antioxidants (vitamin E, caffeine, and green tea) and hyaluronic acid that nourishes and hydrates your skin. The sunscreen is good for sensitive skin and protects against the harmful rays of the sun.
- Doesn’t clog pores.
- Free from parabens and fragrance.
- May leave a whitish shade.
- May appear greasy on the skin.
7. Vanicream Sunscreen Sport
It is light in weight and spreads evenly on the skin. This non-greasy formula with SPF 35 provides broad-spectrum protection from the sun. It is free from fragrance and suitable for the ones who spend their time in outdoor activities.
- Water-resistant and non-comedogenic.
- Skin-friendly and suitable for all skin tones.
- Free from fragrance, parabens, lanolin, dyes, and other preservatives.
- May not be suitable for sensitive skin.
- May dry the skin for some.
8. Cetaphil Facial Moisturizer With Sunscreen
It is a non-greasy and light moisturizer that protects and hydrates your skin. It has SPF 50 that offers broad-spectrum protection from the sun rays. The sunscreen cleanses your skin too and causes no irritation. The brand offers a value pack of two and three bottles.
- Suitable for all skin types.
- Fragrance-free, non-greasy, and non-comedogenic.
- Gentle and safe on sensitive skin.
- Could be sticky and heavy on the skin.
9. La Roche-Posay Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid
This sunscreen lotion contains SPF 50 and is untinted and ultra-light, suiting all types of skin tones. It contains a combination of antioxidants and mineral sun filter that protects the skin from UVA and UVB. The sunscreen blends well on the skin and offers a matte finish as it dries.
- Paraben and fragrance-free.
- Made with manufacturer’s Cell-Ox shield technology.
- Water-resistant and dermatologist-recommended.
- May have a grainy texture.
- May not be suitable on sensitive skin.
10. Olay Sun Facial Sunscreen
It is a facial sunscreen that comes with antioxidants and SPF 35 to protect your skin from the UVA and UVB rays. It comes in two variants, namely makeup primer and shine control. It is not greasy and blends with the skin.
- Oil-free formula that contains vitamin B3 and E, along with antioxidants.
- Offers a matte-finish on the skin.
- Suits all skin tones.
- Could give an oily feel for some.
- The texture of the cream may not be so good.
11. MD Solar Sciences Mineral Creme
It is a lightweight sunscreen that gives you a matte finish once you apply. It blends in with your skin in no time. It has SPF 50 and offers maximum protection to your skin from UVA-UVB, thereby reducing the risk of skin cancer and photoaging.
- Non-irritating and non-comedogenic (doesn’t clog pores).
- Water-resistant, fragrance-free, and gentle.
- Developed and approved by dermatologists.
- Oil-free and suitable for acne, sensitive, and rosacea-prone skin.
- May not be suitable for skin that is too sensitive.
- The tube doesn’t contain enough creme.
12. Purito Centella Green Level Safe Sunscreen
It is a water-based sunscreen that is made with mild ingredients and Centella extracts to protect your skin from the harmful sun rays and toxic elements in the environment. The cream is not sticky, and it doesn’t leave any white marks on your skin. It comes with SPF 50+ and is suitable for acne-prone and sensitive skin.
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Calms and moisturizes skin.
- Oil-free and free from parabens and artificial fragrance.
- Could cause irritation and allergic reactions.
13. Replenix Ultimatte perfection
It is a mattifying, skin-enhancing, and tinted sunscreen with SPF 50. It contains antioxidants that provide advanced protection from free radicals and UV rays. This sunscreen is suitable for all skin tones, and it even reduces aging signs and evens the skin tone.
- Can be used as a makeup primer too.
- Helps in controlling oil and hydrating skin.
- Lightweight and breathable on the skin.
- May make skin look oily.
- May not be suitable for too sensitive skin.
14. iS Clinical Extreme Protect
The sunscreen contains SPF 30 and antioxidants to protect your skin from UVA and UVB. It also has clinically-proven extremozyme technology that prevents DNA damage to the skin. It also works as a moisturizer to hydrate your skin.
- Rich and hydrating.
- Repairs and protects the skin.
- Reduces inflammation, erythema, and DNA damage.
- Has a strong smell.
- Has a thick consistency.
15. SkinMedica Essential Defense
It is a lightweight, sheer mineral sunscreen that provides UVA and UVB protection. It is suitable for sensitive skin. It comes with SPF 35 and helps in preventing sunburn. The sunscreen is free from oil and fragrance too.
- Non-comedogenic and hypoallergenic.
- It is free from parabens.
- Could be greasy.
16. Rosacea Care ZincO Cream
This product is specifically formulated for rosacea-prone and sensitive skin. It contains ZincO that protects against the harmful UVA-UVB rays. It can be used by people with sensitive skin too. It also works as a moisturizer.
- Contains SPF 20.
- Provides broad-spectrum protection from the sun rays.
- Paraben-free and doesn’t leave any whitish marks on the skin.
- May feel oily for some.
17. Soleil Toujours Sunscreen Mist
It is an organic formulation that is infused with botanicals and hydrating antioxidants to protect your skin from UV and DNA damage and to decrease signs of aging. It also smoothens your skin and prevents any loss of firmness. It is available in SPF 30 and 50 broad-spectrum variants.
- Comes in spray form.
- Contains green tea leaf extract and an EcoSun complex.
- Made from natural ingredients.
- Suitable for all skin tones.
- Could be too shiny.
- May cause irritation to some.
How Do You Know If You Have Rosacea?
You might know you have sensitive skin, but you may not know you have rosacea-prone skin. Here are some signs of rosacea (1).
- Redness across the face, including cheeks, chin, nose, and forehead (the symptom may come and go).
- Stinging or burning sensation when regular skincare products are used.
- Some other symptoms could be thick skin, sore eyelids, swelling, dry skin, and yellow-orange patches.
How To Choose The Right Sunscreen For Rosacea?
If you have rosacea-prone skin, then keep the following points in mind while choosing a sunscreen.
- SPF: Sun rays are one of the common triggers for rosacea. Go for a sunscreen that is SPF 30 or more and with broad-spectrum protection from UVA and UVB rays.
- Ingredients: Pick a product that is free from oil, alcohol, fragrance, and other preservatives. Mineral sunscreen with titanium dioxide and zinc oxide could be less irritating to the skin.
- Patch test: Make sure you are applying a small portion of the sunscreen on your wrist or hand and wait for 48 to 72 hours to see if you find any reaction or not. If you don’t experience any discomfort, then you may use it.
Do remember the above-mentioned points when buying the right and most suitable sunscreen for yourself. You may scroll through the list again and shortlist the products based on your requirements. Do not forget to read the label for ingredients and other features.
Which sunscreen for rosacea-prone skin did you find effective? Let us know in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.