Gardening is a great hobby to introduce your kids as it keeps them outdoors and close to nature. However, adult gardening tools are too large and unsafe for kids to use. If your kids show interest in gardening, then it’s best to get them a gardening tool set that will not only allow them to enjoy their hobby better but also keep them safe.
We at MomJunction have compiled a list of the top 13 gardening tools for you to choose from. These tools can be helpful in furthering their interest in plants and gardening.
13 Best kids gardening tools
1. Bo Garden Tool Set With Tote Bag
The Bo Kids Garden Tool Set with a tote bag steals the deal. This toolset includes a rake, trowel, and shovel. Plus, it comes with a beautiful and durable canvas bag with side pockets that allows your child to carry their garden tools safely. The tool handles are made of hardwood and are sturdy, while the edges are made of metal.
- The Bo Garden tool set is made from real metal, which makes it easier for your kids to dig the earth.
- The tool set comes with a durable tote bag that can also be used for picnics or other purposes.
- It is an ideal gardening toolset for 3 to 5-year-old kids.
- The hardwood of this gardening tool set for kids might crack in some cases.
- The tools are small, even for a toddler to use.
2. G & F Products Kids’ Garden Tote With Tools
The G & F Products Kids’ Garden Tote with Tools is an ideal toolset to introduce gardening to your kids. This includes a rake, trowel, and a shovel that come in a stylish and fashionable tote bag to store all your kid’s implements. This cool set can let the child join you for a good time gardening together.
- The tools are made of metal and have wooden handles.
- It comes with a carrying bag that’s sturdy and stylish too.
- The gardening toolset is perfectly sized for kids.
- The edges of the tools might be sharp, and thus, should be used by kids under parental supervision.
3. Toyrifik Little Gardener Tool Set With Bag For Kids
If you are looking for an all-time favorite garden toolset, then you just found it. This little gardening tool bag comprises a rake, a tote bag, fork, gardening gloves, and a shovel. The handles of the tools are made of wood, and the heads are made of round-edged metals for safety.
- This toolset is made of durable material and can stand the test of the time.
- They are super safe, and you needn’t worry about your kid’s safety.
- This gardening tool set comes in a number of colors.
- The lettering on the bag might fade or peel off.
4. American Plastic Deluxe Garden Set Toy
This little gardening toolset includes everything a young kid needs for hours of fun! These tools are rightly designed for outdoor playtime. Your kids will love them, and it is also a great way to ensure some quality family time if the entire family is into gardening.
- The garden toolset is great for your young gardener.
- The tools are made of child-safe plastic and come in bright colors.
- Get this gardening tool to spend some quality time with your young one and your family.
- They may not withstand rough usage and weather.
5. ROCA Home Kids Curated Garden Box
The ROCA Home Kids Curated Garden Box is ideal for the young gardener at your home. This curated box is filled with fun gardening arts and crafts, a pair of gardening gloves, a set of gardening tools, and more. It’s a wonderful way to introduce your child to nature and how to nurture it.
- This ROCA curated garden box offers endless hours of entertainment for your kids.
- It features a learning guide about gardening, STEM subjects, and much more.
- It also helps your kids to learn more about science and nature.
- The curated garden box may not be useful as the kid gets older.
6. Toysmith Big Kids Garden Tool Set
This Toysmith Big Kids Garden Tool Set comes with a spade, rake, hoe, and leaf rake for your little ones to have some fun in the yard. This garden toolset is built with high-quality materials and comes with sturdy wooden handles too.
- The toolset is made up of quality wood handles that make it easy to use the metal tool heads.
- The tools also have a string attached to them for easy accessibility.
- The colorful tools can help your kids be engaged and entertained for hours at a stretch.
- These tools are of the perfect size for your kids.
- The rake tines this gardening toolset are way too narrow and stiff, while the shovel head is too flat to scoop soil with.
7. Fun Little Toys Kids Garden Tool Toys Set
The Fun Little Garden Tool Toys Set is what the little gardener in your house needs. It’s designed to be portable and lightweight and is perfect for your kids to carry it around. This toy tool set is packed with 15 different gardening tools.
- It comes with a sturdy child-sized storage wagon.
- Has 15 plastic gardening tools, including a trowel, spade, water can, spray bottle, and more for a complete gardening experience.
- It’s a great garden set to play in soil, snow, and sand.
- The toolset is made of BPS-free plastic and is safe for kids to play with.
- The tools are not so sturdy and don’t hold up for real gardening.
8. Liberty Imports Garden Wagon & Tools Toy Set For Kids
The Liberty Imports Garden Wagon & Tools Toy Set for Kids is one of a kind kid’s gardening kit that comes with several functional implements. The set consists of a fork, hand rake, spade, wrench, and much more. Whether your young one decides to use it in the beach or in your backyard, they are going to have a blast.
- It comes with eight different gardening tools from a pick mattock and watering can to a spade.
- This gardening set also comes with two sets of small and large flowerpots.
- The vibrant colored tools breathe life into the mundane gardening routine.
- This toolset is perfect for tiny hands and even easier to carry around for your young one.
- This kid’s gardening toolset is not so sturdy enough for actual gardening.
9.Toy Shovel Gardening Set By Gardenline
The Gardenline Kids Gardening Toolset is primarily made for kids who are eight to ten years of age. This set consists of many tools ranging from a watering can, a shovel, to a beautiful bag along with gardening gloves! The tools have rounded metal edges to minimize injuries.
- This gardening tool set comes along with a bag for keeping all your tools in one place.
- The metal edges with wooden handles give it a real feel.
- This kids’ gardening toolset comes with gardening gloves so that the hands never get dirty.
- The watering can is very small and barely holds any water.
10. Click N Play Gardening Tools For Kids
If you are looking for kids’ gardening tools that look like real tools but are made for safe usage by kids, then the Click N Play gardening tool set is the perfect choice for you. It comes with four sturdy tools with wooden handles and a leather loop for easy hanging. It is ideal for kids aged five years and up.
- It features a leaf rake, rake, shovel, and hoe, with each tool measuring approximately. 27. 5 inches long.
- The tools have rounded metal edges with wooden handles and are specially sized to be safe, comfortable, and enjoyable for your young one.
- The tools are durable and sturdy to withstand weather and time.
- The tools seem durable, but the screws may not hold up.
11. G & F 10041 JustForKids Kids Wheel Barrel
Looking for a push toy? Why not go for a wheelbarrow? Kids have love to move around with their toys, and the G & F wheel barrel toy is the perfect outdoor toy for your young one who is eager to assist you with cleaning the yard.
- It’s a real metal wheelbarrow that hauls over 50 pounds.
- The whole tray body and handles are made out of real metal to help it sustain weather and time.
- The metal edges are rounded to keep your little one’s fingers from getting scratched.
- Although the instructions illustrate that washers are included, there were no washers other than with the wheel pin.
- After regular use, the paint tends to come off a little, and it also results in rusting.
12. Toysmith Kid’s 3-Piece Garden Tool Set
This wonderful 3-piece garden tool set from Toysmith is perfect for your little beginner and includes everything that a young gardener needs to keep them engrossed in gardening for hours. This set includes a rake, trowel, and shovel. This is perfect for a family Sunday out in the sun!
- These are highly functional, high-quality tools designed to ensure quality family time along with a fun outdoor playtime.
- This toolset is made of durable and sturdy material – the heads are made of metal, while the handles are made of wood with a smooth finish to minimize injuries to your little gardener.
- The tools feature vibrant, bright, fun colors, and measure up to 8.5-inches in length.
- The paint might chip and get rusty too.
13. G & F Products Just For Kids
This set of gardening toolset includes a rake, a spade, a hoe, and a leaf rake that are made of highly durable wood that offers your child a firmer grip while gardening. It also reduces the risk of any accidents to young ones and also helps them enjoy some time under the sun, gardening and learning new skills.
- The tools are constructed of highly durable wood and metal that lasts longer.
- These tools are the perfect size for your toddlers.
- This toolset comes in super cute and bright colors that will encourage your child to go outside and get their hands dirty.
- The silicon handle isn’t so securely connected.
What Are The Benefits Of Gardening For Kids?
Gardening is great for your kids as it keeps them close to nature and in the outdoors. Some of the other benefits of gardening for children include:
- Sensory Development: Gardening engages aids in developing hand-eye coordination and also builds physical strength.
- Encourages Healthy Eating: Gardening with your children can also help them gain a keen interest in healthy eating too.
- Teaches Responsibility And Patience: Growing a plant or vegetable requires attention and care. Thus, gardening is a great way to teach your kids responsibility and patience.
Safety Tips For Children While Using Gardening Tools
Gardening with your children needs your attention as small children can easily injure themselves. Here are a few safety gardening tips to keep in mind when using gardening tools.
- Teach them how to handle the tools properly. Tell not to use the tools for anything but gardening.
- Teach them to always hold the wooden handle and not the metal side.
- Never let your kids wander around while gardening as they may trample or step on something.
- Do watch your children from poisonous and harmful plants while they help you with gardening.
- Plus, do limit the usage of your adult gardening tools in front of your kids.
How To Choose The Right Gardening Tools For Your Children?
Here are a few ways to choose the best gardening tool for your kids:
- Look for a full toolset: There are a few gardening tool sets that come with many tools that aid in easy gardening for your kids.
- Look for safety: It’s imperative to look for a gardening set that is safe for your kids and minimize injuries.
- Look to fit your bill: There is a wide range of kids gardening tools available in the market but pick one that doesn’t burn a hole in your pocket.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are metal tools good for children of any age?
No, all-metal tools may not be safe for kids. Get tools with rounded metal heads and wooden handles, or plastic tools.
2. Would a gardening kit be good for a high-anxiety child?
Yes. Gardening is known to help develop social skills and also boost confidence among children.
Gardening is a fantastic outdoor activity that helps your child grow both physically and cognitively. You don’t need a full gardening set to introduce to the wonder and beauty of nature; even a small set of plastic tools is enough! Moreover, spending some time under the sun encourages kids to go outside and get away from mobile screens and video screens.
Do let us know about your choice of the gardening tool for your kid in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.